7/27/2013

Frances Ha (2012)


'Undateable': Story of My First Date with Frances Ha



We all experience it. The occasional major cinematic crush. This is one of these stories. The first time I got a glimpse of Frances Ha, through its trailer, I felt instant infatuation. The black and white esthetics, the New Yorker thread, the witty humor, the hot soundtrack. Everything caught my attention. When I finally managed to get a first date - the 9pm screening - I was nervous and excited. Excited because I couldn't help but think about this movie everyday. Nervous because I was afraid my expectations were too high. Like before any date, I took forever to choose my outfit. I opted for something casually fashionable. I brought a friend with me so it would be more like an informal get-together. No pressure. Then I apprehensively bought my ticket and sat down in the theater. And that was it, I definitely fell for Frances Ha as soon as the movie started. Not Frances, the protagonist, who reminds me too much of myself. But Frances Ha, the movie. This is a very touching and hilarious picture directed by Noah Baumbach. The black and white esthetics highlight the modernity of the tackled themes and give a certain depth to the comedy. The screenplay written by both Gerwig (who plays Frances) and Baumbach is a genuine reflection of the main character's personality. It is witty, quotable and seems a little disjointed but it holds itself together in the end. I could easily identify with Frances. She is lost somewhere between childhood and adulthood. She is a 27-year-old non-graceful apprentice for a dance company, lives in New York City, has an intense bond with her roommate and college best friend. When Sophie - the best friend - decides to move out of Brooklyn and ditch her friend for a hip apartment in Tribeca, Frances will have to finally force her way into adulthood. This is an unusual love story to tell on screen since it deals with the love between two best friends. Frances is the adorable friend you wished you had. Passionate and a little crazy, Greta Gerwig delivers a very convincing and natural performance. The rest of the cast is also very credible. Frances Ha is a simple story about artists in their mid-twenties. Their untamed dreams and modern life problems are so familiar. This movie has a legitimate place in my Favorite Movies List. I cannot wait for my second date with the Baumbach/Gerwig duo.

1 reason to watch: It will make you laugh and move you. The perfect-date combo. Plus, the final shot explains the mysterious title.



No comments:

Post a Comment